I have installed Windows Server 2012 RC Datacenter to one of my VMs. So now let’s see what things need to be done to set up an Active Directory.
- First thing you’ll see once the OS is running is the Server Manager window.
- Then go to Local Server and change the Computer name by clicking it. And the OS will be restarted. In my case, I’ve rename it to CAMP.
- Once restarted, on the Server Manager window click on Manage > Add Roles and Features on the top right corner as shown below:
- The wizard will starts, click Next.
- For Installation type, choose Role-based or feature-based installation.
- For Server Selection, let it be and click Next.
- For Server Roles, select Active Directory Domain Services. And a wizard will shows up, just click on Add Features.
- For Features, just click Next.
- For AD DS, click Next.
- Then Confirmation, click Install. Once it’s done then close it you’ll see new option is added named AS DS.
Then you’ll notice there’s a warning in yellow which telling you that there’s configuration need to be done.
So what you do is,
- Click on the flag on the top right corner and click on Promote this server to domain controller.
- A wizard shows up, on Deployment Configuration choose Add a new forest and fill in the root domain name e.g AD.LOCAL or CP.LOCAL (in my case).
- For Domain Controller Options, fill in the DSRM password.
- For DNS Options, let it be and click Next.
- You will get NetBIOS automatically and click Next.
- For Paths, click Next
- For Review Options, click Next
- For Prerequisites Check, checking will start and click Install when it’s done. (Make sure your connection is working)
- Once it is done, you will be signed off then your server will be an Active Directory Server with installed DNS.